Friday, February 22, 2008

Sam's Scarf

My grandson, Sam, was cautious when I suggested knitting him a scarf. His sister's scarf was lacy and pink. Aussie blokes don't wear lacy pink scarves, especially when they're boys growing up in smaller country centres. Seeing the hesitation in his eye I laced my offer with (unsubtle) suggestions of traditional 'boy' colours. Blues, a little red, green and yellow to brighten it up. A nice tweedy, manly texture. Despite my attempts he was still suspicious, asking; "Bluuuuuue?" I cast around my mind for a more reassuring line but couldn't find one. I was reduced to; "Yeeees, mainly blues!" delivered in an even firmer tone. It was at that point I gave up the idea of adding 'purple' to the colourway. I watched his face clear. I had clinched the deal! And here it is, Sam's masculine, hand made, garter slip stitched scarf. It's knitted with suitably rugged Patons 100% wool in an 8 ply, and I understand that the additional colours have not been a problem. The proof of the pudding will be his allowing me to knit him another scarf ... when this one reaches the end of its life!

No comments: